Caring advice of your home
In the fixed luminaire that is in your home, you change lighting yourself. It can be, for example, a light bulb, oven lamp, refrigerator lamp, fluorescent lamp or fan lamp.
Drill holes in the wall
It is perfectly okay to drill holes if you want to put something on the wall. Something that’s good to think about is what weight your putting on the wall. You may not need those extra holes after all. When you move out, you will need to restore the home, which means that you will need to plug in the holes you have drilled.
For your safety and to reduce the risk of fire, it is forbidden to block basement corridors, entrances and passages in the properties. You are not allowed to store bicycles, furniture, prams or other objects there. In view of fire and burglary, doors to attics and basements must also be kept closed. This is especially important when it comes to storage space.
Control and maintenance of smoke alarms
Test your smoke alarm once a month and when you have been away for a long time.
- To test the smoke alarm, press the test button. This checks the function of the entire smoke alarm, not just the battery.
- If the smoke alarm does not emit a signal when you press the test button, the battery may be exhausted and need to be replaced. Make a fault report regarding this on My Pages.
- When it’s time to change the battery, the smoke alarm gives a short signal approximately once a minute.
- A smoke alarm that is dirty inside becomes more sensitive and alarms more often for no reason. Clean smoke alarms once a year or if it alarms for no reason. Clean the smoke alarms by vacuuming with a soft brush and wiping the outside with a slightly damp cloth.
Installing dishwasher or washing machine
If you live in a student room, you may not install your own washing machine or dishwasher in the common areas, nor in your own corridor room.
Washing machine and dishwasher can be installed in some apartments. You need to contact your House Caretaker to ask if it is possible in your home. You have to pay for installation and restoration when moving out. Note! We only install countertop dishwashers and the work always needs to be done by a professional.
Painting and blinds
Many people like to fix it themselves at home and you have the right to paint your home at your own expense. It is also permitted to install blinds, but the work needs to be done by a professional and also at your own expense. You always need to contact your House Caretaker so they can do an inspection before the change is made. Otherwise, you may be obliged to restore or reimburse the cost of restoring the home to its original condition upon moving out.
You clean the washbasin drain yourself and the easiest way is to:
- Place a bucket under the drain and unscrew
- Remove hair and dirt and clean the pipes. When replacing the pipes, it is important that it is properly sealed. Rinse a while afterwards to see that it does not leak
To avoid bad smells or blockages in the drain, you need to clean your floor drain from hair and other dirt at regular intervals. Do this:
- Lift the floor drain cover and clean
- Clean the well as best you can with a dish brush and detergent
- Some floor drains have an insert. Lift it up and clean. Make sure you get it fixed properly when you are done
Temperature and ventilation
The valves must be dried occasionally.
- Vacuum and dry clean
- Use lukewarm water and mild detergent
How to clean your drain